Moroccan Lemon Chicken with Olives
Welcome to Daniela's Recipes at Home!
Today we are cooking a super tasty traditional dish from Morocco, Poulet Au Citron!
Or, in english, Moroccan Lemon Chicken!
About this fantastic dish:
Traditionally this dish is made in a tagine, which is a ceramic Moroccan cooking dish.
I thought that since most of us don’t have a tagine at home, I am sharing the recipe with just using a saucier.
(Recipe serving 4 people)
First of all, what you need is:
1 kg bone-in chicken pieces
1/2 tsp saffron threads
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground ginger
Pinch cayenne pepper
36 ml extra virgin olive oil
1/2 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
500 chicken stock
1 1/2 fresh lemons (peel only)
90 g pitted green olives
Fresh chopped cilantro for garnish
Salt and pepper to taste
Let's count the calories per serving (without the side of rice/bulgur/cous cous):
Skinless full chicken leg: 185 kcal
Green olives: 39 kcal
Broth: 10 kcal
Olive oil: 83 kcal
Onion: 15 kcal
Total of 332 kcal per serving
1. Remove skin from chicken pieces (use you favourite cut of chicken, I used chicken thighs), then rinse and dry the pieces. Mix saffron powder, cumin, paprika, turmeric, ginger, cayenne pepper cinnamon and salt together in a small bowl. Rub the spice mixture evenly onto the chicken pieces.
2. Heat the olive oil in the sauce pan at medium high heat. Fry the onion and the garlic in the oil till it turns brownish. Put the marinated chicken pieces in the sauce pan, arrange them nicely so they touch the pan. Pour chicken stock over the pieces until almost covered.
3. Remove the pulp from the lemons or cut the peel off the lemon! And place it in the sauce pan, on top of the chicken.
4. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer and cover the pan. Let the chicken simmer for about 40 minutes, if you like the meat very tender let it simmer more time.
5. Remove chicken pieces from the broth and arrange them on a serving dish.
6. Add the green olives to the sauce we left in the pan and bring it to boil. Let it reduce so it thickens.
7. Serve the chicken on a bed of couscous, basmati rice or bulgur and pour the sauce over the chicken. Garnish with fresh chopped coriander. You can also serve it with flatbread or pita bread to dip in the sauce. Enjoy!
If you cooked this recipe and enjoyed it please comment below or share you creation with us on Instagram, tag us using @fromheretotherewego !
Thank you and see you in the next adventure!!